Blackout Bulletin Boards on BLACKOUT.COM

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Blackout Bulletin Boards on BLACKOUT.COM   » General   » Philosophy & Spirit Box   » The start is the end of the middle.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The start is the end of the middle.
Blackout
Actor Singer Writer Director Visionary Philosopher Magickian Skydiver Digital Hippie and all around Creative Artist
Member # 7

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Blackout   Author's Homepage   Email Blackout   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Answer me this,

philosophy riddle:

What is the start is the end of the middle?

- Blackout

--------------------
You are not your job, your titles, your possessions, your degrees, your lovers, your relationships, your place of residence, your social security number, your ID, your bills, your worries, your bank account, your age or your body. You are the timeless being that created & perceives itself through those things, and you have the power to play or not play that game. When someone asks me "what do you do?" looking for some title to pin me down, I laugh and say "EVERYTHING!" - Blackout

Posts: 7617 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bluhevenly
Super Female Sex Crazed Blackout's Box Fan & Donator!
Member # 8

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bluhevenly   Author's Homepage   Email Bluhevenly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D. both a and b

--------------------
"Dear lady...you are new to the scene. When you have been with us a little longer, nothing will amaze you." --Willy Wonka, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

Posts: 828 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackout
Actor Singer Writer Director Visionary Philosopher Magickian Skydiver Digital Hippie and all around Creative Artist
Member # 7

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackout   Author's Homepage   Email Blackout   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm.. interesting, but incorrect.

There is an actual answer to this.

Try again.

--------------------
You are not your job, your titles, your possessions, your degrees, your lovers, your relationships, your place of residence, your social security number, your ID, your bills, your worries, your bank account, your age or your body. You are the timeless being that created & perceives itself through those things, and you have the power to play or not play that game. When someone asks me "what do you do?" looking for some title to pin me down, I laugh and say "EVERYTHING!" - Blackout

Posts: 7617 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shostie
Blackout's Box Illuminati and Dreaderator: Vinlar the Dreadful Only available to those with over 3000 posts
Member # 112

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Shostie   Email Shostie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, is it me or is there one too many verbs in this question? I don't see any conjunctions to merit a second verb.

--------------------
Maestra is indeed a sexy geek.

"Primitive humans make tools; computer-designed, high-tech hand tools." -program description from The History Channel's Modern Marvels

"I wish God were alive to see this." -Homer Simpson

"And my stage directions make no sense. How is it possible for me to wear clown make up AND be sober all at once?" -Davan MacIntire

Posts: 3653 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Vinas
Official Blackout's Box Fancy Lad Canadian Bitch Ambassador and Teutonic God of Thunder
Member # 135

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinas   Author's Homepage   Email Vinas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Replace an "is" with an "of".

The start of the end of the middle is the end of the end of the start, since after the end of the end of the start comes the start of the start of the middle, and once something starts to start at the start of the middle, it has started on the path to the end of the end of the middle.

[ 08-31-2002, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Vinas ]

--------------------
"Vinny uncaringly hurts peoples feelings. He's like a mean robot."

Posts: 3557 | From: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bluhevenly
Member # 8

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bluhevenly   Author's Homepage   Email Bluhevenly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put me in the middle of a couple of you and I'll show you where the start is.

[ 08-31-2002, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Bluhevenly ]

--------------------
"Dear lady...you are new to the scene. When you have been with us a little longer, nothing will amaze you." --Willy Wonka, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

Posts: 828 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Vinas
Official Blackout's Box Fancy Lad Canadian Bitch Ambassador and Teutonic God of Thunder
Member # 135

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinas   Author's Homepage   Email Vinas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What is the start of the end of the middle?" is what I believe he meant.

[ 08-31-2002, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Vinas ]

--------------------

Posts: 3557 | From: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bluhevenly
Member # 8

Member Rated:
quote:
What is the start is the end of the middle?
I have given this serious thought, and have never heard this riddle before. At first I was REALLY puzzled because I thought of this riddle in the western linear pattern of thinking. Then I remembered that some cultures do have a more spiral concept of time and history. I was thinking about this as in image in my head. Say you take a pen and you were about to draw a spiral. You always start in the middle and continue drawing around and around the original point to make a spiral. Now trace back the way you came, all the way to the middle where you started. You will be back at the start which is the end of the middle (of the spiral). If this doesn't make sense, draw a spiral.. and perhaps you will see what I visualized. Some cultures see history as circular (spiral) rather than as a linear timeline. The same things keep passing us by, there is no one start and one end.. it is spiral.

[ 08-31-2002, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Bluhevenly ]

--------------------

Blackout
Member # 7

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Blackout   Author's Homepage   Email Blackout   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good thinking Blue... you are right on the money but missed the exact answer. An infinite spiral is correct in a way because... well, you had the idea right, but the answer I was looking for was the symbol for infinity.. or the number 8. The symbol for infinity is the number 8 turned sideways, and the start is the end of the middle.

You have figured the riddle.

- Blackout

--------------------

Vinas
Member # 135

Member Rated:
And unlocked the power therein?

--------------------

Bluhevenly
Member # 8

Member Rated:
I've got a golden ticket!!!! I think Blackout could be Willy Wonka.. why not? I'll be that bitch Veruca Salt.

--------------------

Vinas
Member # 135

Member Rated:
I call the fat kid.

--------------------

Shostie
Blackout's Box Illuminati and Dreaderator: Vinlar the Dreadful Only available to those with over 3000 posts
Member # 112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shostie   Email Shostie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be Gene Wilder.

--------------------

"Primitive humans make tools; computer-designed, high-tech hand tools." -program description from The History Channel's Modern Marvels

"And my stage directions make no sense. How is it possible for me to wear clown make up AND be sober all at once?" -Davan MacIntire

Posts: 3653 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackout
Member # 7

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackout   Author's Homepage   Email Blackout   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Willy Wonka IS Gene Wilder you daffy bastard. And I am playing him.

Didn't you notice he has a very cool HAT as well.

- Blackout

[ 09-02-2002, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Blackout ]

--------------------

Vinas
Member # 135

Member Rated:
Don't you see the perfect hatular synergy? It's all coming together...

--------------------

hookt up
Blackout's Box Technical Advisor Guru
Member # 179

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hookt up   Author's Homepage   Email hookt up   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pharris can be all the Oompa-Loompa's..

[Big Grin]

Jeff

--------------------
Give a man a fish, he owes you a fish. Teach a man to fish and you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

Posts: 145 | From: Beneath the Earth's Crust | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Bluhevenly
Member # 8

Member Rated:
quote:
Pharris can be all the Oompa-Loompa's..

Pharris would be too busy chasing Veruca and Violet.

--------------------

Samsynn
Biggest Fan of Star Wars Episodes I & II EVER!
Member # 259

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samsynn   Email Samsynn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that Veruca and Violet are a bit OLD for Pharris, don't you

--------------------
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Posts: 190 | From: Ft. Lauderdale , FL | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shostie
Member # 112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shostie   Email Shostie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well damnit. If I can't be Gene Wilder, can I atleast do a cameo as the black sherrif from Blazing Saddles?

--------------------

crApp
Official Blackout's Box Member
Member # 261

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for crApp   Author's Homepage   Email crApp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cauld of sworn on my life the answer was Harminoff, but oh well
Posts: 78 | From: wi | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
HypnoticDonald
Official Blackout's Box Iowa Ambassador
Member # 278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HypnoticDonald   Author's Homepage   Email HypnoticDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gene Wilder is a GOD. I want his babies.

--------------------
Sometimes I make art just to murder it.

Posts: 25 | From: Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Glyde
Keeper of the Great Corn
Member # 271

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glyde   Email Glyde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The black sheriff from blazing saddles IS god! By golly I swear I'd stake my gold and my life on it.

--------------------
I am dumb and Cuban. Help me.
-Blackout

Posts: 875 | From: La Gran L.H.! | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Vinas
Member # 135

Member Rated:
It's Springtime... [Sucker]

--------------------

Shostie
Member # 112

Member Rated:
For Hitler in Germany, Vinas?

Jesus. How'd we go from the infinity symbol to Mel Brooks films? Perhaps it is their timeless nature.

--------------------

Rachael
Member # 302

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rachael   Email Rachael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I would have thought that the start of the end of the middle would be the beginning of the end.
-Rachael

Posts: 61 | From: ucf | Registered: Oct 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackout
Member # 7

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Blackout   Author's Homepage   Email Blackout   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rachel! Jan Brady!

Welcome to the boards!

There's no end baby... it just keeps going and going and going and....

Well... going...

- Blackout

--------------------

ShaynaMaidelah
Box Newbie
Member # 303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShaynaMaidelah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if infinity is finite and it never ends, does it mean it never has a specific beginning (it is infinite on both ends)?

Oh darn, my eyes have crossed......

-Shayna

--------------------
Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi:
Always wear underwear.

Posts: 16 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Oct 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rachael
Member # 302

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rachael   Email Rachael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right Blackout, you can't get rid of a Brady. lol Glad to be here.
Posts: 61 | From: ucf | Registered: Oct 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Vinas
Member # 135

Member Rated:
I've always considered the infinite as having begun somewhere in the middle, which is why it's infinite. For whatever reason, it needs to completely go through its' existence before it can cease to exist, but something went wrong and it's stuck in an endless loop, middle to middle, forgoing the beginning and the end.

--------------------

Lindsi
Hot Little Barely Legal Beer Bringer
Member # 294

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindsi   Email Lindsi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
juuussttt kidding [Embarrassed]

[ 10-23-2002, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Lindsi ]

--------------------
I tried to give you Summer, but I'm Winter. I wish I could make you Spring, but I Fall so hard.

Posts: 338 | From: Tamarac, FL | Registered: Oct 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindsi
Member # 294

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindsi   Email Lindsi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHOOOOOOSSSSHHH!!!! # 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay I hit 50 posts!! (this is where we need a emoticon doing the cabbage patch!!!) *cough* hint hint *cough*

[Party On ]

--------------------
I tried to give you Summer, but I'm Winter. I wish I could make you Spring, but I Fall so hard.

Posts: 338 | From: Tamarac, FL | Registered: Oct 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lindsi
Member # 294

Member Rated:
Yay! Now I'm an official member! Time to go get [Trashed] . Eh hehh.. eh hem. *straightens tie* So at what point in time exactly do I get a nifty cool name?

Oh, and .. nevermind. [Razz]

--------------------

Vinas
Member # 135

Member Rated:
You know, ever since Avril Lavigne started the damned women-with-ugly-ties trend up here, I've felt like just grabbing them and pulling till something snaps, be it bone or fabric.

--------------------

Lindsi
Member # 294

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Lindsi   Email Lindsi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YA KNOW!!! What's f*d up is ever since 9th grade, I've worn a tie. Not everyday, but I started wearing a tie every once in a while and everyone would look at me wierd and ask where I was going after school and whatnot, then that little bitch comes up on the scene and starts that fuckin' trend and now whenever I wear a tie I get "Hey Avril" or something along that lines of that. ARGH that pisses me off!!! [Mad]

On another note... I'm gonna go see The Ring now [Embarrassed] )

Bye peepeez

--------------------

Mark
Box Understudy
Member # 310

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first read the riddle, I immediately came up with the same answer as Rachel, but then I realized my mistake. The start of the end of the middle is NOT the moment that the middle ends, the start of the end of the middle is the beginning of the middle. As soon as the middle starts, it is ending, in the same way that as soon as you begin your life, you begin dying.

After coming up with this answer, I read through the posts again and realized that you didn't make a mistake and did indeed mean, "What is the start is the end of the middle". The answer you gave only makes sense if you consider the middle to be the start. Since the symbol for infinity is not linear, the start is undefined and becomes subjective. Some might perceive the start as being the left side of the symbol. Some might perceive it as the right. Therefore, I think the riddle should read, "What is the start is the end of the middle if you consider the middle to be the start."

And on a side note, I don't believe that infinity has a beginning at all. It seems that people have no problem accepting the idea that time will continue on forever into the future, but have a hard time grasping that time also continues forever into the past.

Now that I've thorougly confused myself and probably others, I think I'll lay off this philosophy stuff! [Smile]

[ 10-26-2002, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Mark ]

--------------------
Spiral out, keep going.

Posts: 33 | From: North of Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackout
Member # 7

Member Rated:
Well, the little bump in the road we run into when considering infinity and it not having a start is this:

If time is infinite in both directions, then there was an INFINITE amount of time in the past before you were born, and if there was/is an infinite amount of time before your birth, you could never be born, because we could never reach the date of your birth. So somewhere, in some system, somehow, time has to be a defigned linear system I think.

Or perhaps time is just a mechanism of the brain.

- Blackout

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Old site - pranks & things

Blackout.com , the artist known as Blackout, Blackout's Box, Blackout.com, Blurpinkle, Blackout's Box Studios, Blackout's Box Entertainment, Blurpinkle, Hathouse Films & TheTricksters.org (C)1995-20010 Michael Richard Bigansky (AKA: Blackout & Michael Biggins, Blackout) & Blackout's Box Studios INC.