Blackout Bulletin Boards on BLACKOUT.COM

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Blackout Bulletin Boards on BLACKOUT.COM   » General   » Philosophy & Spirit Box   » group project ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: group project ?
Jack's Broken Heart
Supercirculoexecutor of the M.B. Blackout, Esq. Estate
Member # 359

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack's Broken Heart   Author's Homepage   Email Jack's Broken Heart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i feel the need for some gratuitous namedropping . blackout and i were having a knockdown dragout philosophical discussion when we came to the realisation that he, marty and i have shared an almost identical dream that seems to buck the norms of freud and jung .

in the spirit of unity based on a pragmatic approach towards group discussion, i say we start a virtual book tour . we could post our impressions of a book once a week until we're all on the same page . i'd really like to read soren kierkegaard's "fear and trembling" or thomas pynchon's "the crying of lot 49"; perhaps something short and simple so that we can all truly get a feel for the way our intellectual gears whine and shift .

i would eventually like to create a book discussion engine using perl and wiki within a movable type template at http://amnesiacs.org/ ( my webpage ) .

any comments/suggestions ?

--------------------
"For the rest of you: take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it."

Posts: 23 | From: Coconizzy Crizzo, Fo Shizzo | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackout
Actor Singer Writer Director Visionary Philosopher Magickian Skydiver Digital Hippie and all around Creative Artist
Member # 7

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Blackout   Author's Homepage   Email Blackout   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutlely want to get something like that going and be exposed to some other thinkers and writers. James tried to get a book club going in the writers box but I don't know if that fared well or not. I think it's because everyone had to meet. Perhaps if a bunch of people just agree to read the same book and then post about it here that would be easier, if it was a philosophy book that is, if not it would go in the writers box. I have been having an intense spurt of positive energy and creativity and things falling into place for me and the universe giving me clues again, and this time I am trying to better harness that power and work at it instead of just 'feeling good' and having a good time. The force is with me right now, but with great power, comes great responsibility as they say. [Hippy Chic] So in edition to running this site and the LIVE internet show , I have been working so hard at getting the live stage show together in time for the New Times article, and the bits for the TV show will be tested out there, and the best ones included in the pilot. I've been going nuts doing photo shoots (which went GREAT by the way) making phone calls and talking with people trying to get a theater that can handle what it is that I want to do.. but it's looking good so far, I'll keep you all posted.

Leo, would you like to be a moderator on the philosophy box? I know you are into it and trust you will keep things intersting here, sometimes it's hard for me to cover all these boards while working on three shows at one time.

- Blackout

[ 07-16-2003, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: Blackout ]

--------------------
You are not your job, your titles, your possessions, your degrees, your lovers, your relationships, your place of residence, your social security number, your ID, your bills, your worries, your bank account, your age or your body. You are the timeless being that created & perceives itself through those things, and you have the power to play or not play that game. When someone asks me "what do you do?" looking for some title to pin me down, I laugh and say "EVERYTHING!" - Blackout

Posts: 7616 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Maestra
One sexy geek!
Member # 370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maestra   Author's Homepage   Email Maestra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuses excuses. Tsk tsk.

--------------------
You never know what's going to happen when you give a robot a machine gun.

Posts: 1786 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ampersand
I'm Gentle and sweet woman looking for a good kind man.
Member # 431

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ampersand   Author's Homepage   Email Ampersand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just deeply upset that none of us non-local Boxers will be able to see the live stage show. [Frown]

--------------------
I'm looking for a good kind man, who wont hit me anymore. Will you be my friend forever? Come check out my profile.

Posts: 1146 | From: Sometimes I don't remember but I know I'm near a pool. | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
elf
Drunken Latin Mistress, Lover of the Cinnabun, Sex Doctor, and Lawyer
Member # 276

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for elf   Email elf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am all for it, Blackie and Leo. However, may I suggest our first book:

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

Its a small book, and beautifully simple yet very inspiring. I ran out of reading material at my Hollywood crib, and picked up one of Ellen's books on her book shelf. I read it in two days (slowly) and loved it. Blackout - the book speaks a lot about the "omens" the universe throws you when you are on your correct path. Considering all the recent developments in your life, I think you will especially be touched by this book. In fact, that is mainly the theme of the entire story. The book might alienate those readers who feel that the more complicated the philosophical discussion, the more intelligent and viable it is. It is a simple story of love and one's "Personal Legend".

The Alchemist.

[ 07-16-2003, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: elf ]

--------------------
Ahem, I am not Mexican. (not that there is anything wrong with that)

Posts: 1257 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackout
Actor Singer Writer Director Visionary Philosopher Magickian Skydiver Digital Hippie and all around Creative Artist
Member # 7

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackout   Author's Homepage   Email Blackout   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good Elfy. I will try and pick it up. So many people have been suggesting movies and books to me lately... it's a sign.

So Leo, how did you like Waking Life? Or did you fall asleep.

(It was a late night of philosophy talk with Stacy, Marty, and leo, and I decided Leo had to see Waking Life but stupidly this decision was made at about 7 in the morning)

--------------------
You are not your job, your titles, your possessions, your degrees, your lovers, your relationships, your place of residence, your social security number, your ID, your bills, your worries, your bank account, your age or your body. You are the timeless being that created & perceives itself through those things, and you have the power to play or not play that game. When someone asks me "what do you do?" looking for some title to pin me down, I laugh and say "EVERYTHING!" - Blackout

Posts: 7616 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Vinas
Official Blackout's Box Fancy Lad Canadian Bitch Ambassador and Teutonic God of Thunder
Member # 135

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinas   Author's Homepage   Email Vinas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Waking Life at 7 PM and I still fell asleep. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Vinny uncaringly hurts peoples feelings. He's like a mean robot."

Posts: 3557 | From: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesus Cheddar
The Distinguished Gentleman from Minnesota
Member # 48

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesus Cheddar   Email Jesus Cheddar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is slightly off-topic... but someone commented on non-Florida Boxers missing the stage show. You could sell a video or DVD of it. (or one of you Floridians might be goodly enough to tape a bootleg).

--------------------
Whichever one I feed.

Posts: 499 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Apr 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Maestra
One sexy geek!
Member # 370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maestra   Author's Homepage   Email Maestra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here here, Jesus. Please make something that the non-Florida residents can enjoy as well.

--------------------
You never know what's going to happen when you give a robot a machine gun.

Posts: 1786 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ampersand
I'm Gentle and sweet woman looking for a good kind man.
Member # 431

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ampersand   Author's Homepage   Email Ampersand   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wallet and I wholeheartedly concur.

--------------------
I'm looking for a good kind man, who wont hit me anymore. Will you be my friend forever? Come check out my profile.

Posts: 1146 | From: Sometimes I don't remember but I know I'm near a pool. | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackout
Member # 7

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackout   Author's Homepage   Email Blackout   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waking life is a love or hate movie. I was fascinated by it because it's how I think. Now you know how fucked up my mind is, or perhaps now I know how NOT fucked up my mind is, because others have made a movie about thinking the same, so perhaps now I should just think normally again just to be different.

Grin.

--------------------

Blackout
Member # 7

Member Rated:
The point of the stage show is to "screen test" sketches and ideas in front of a live audience, and to have a blast with people, and to finally make a little money so I can survive. If everyone bootlegs my stuff and just burns it from the web, and no ones supports and buys CDs, I have no income. Blackout's Box takes up a lot of time and energy, and with the stage show goign I will essentially be doing 3 shows.... the internet radio show, the stage show, and the TV show... this is a massive undertaking, not to mention running the website. It's quite more than one person can handle. So Killty and Gladys are helping me out.

--------------------

Jack's Broken Heart
Member # 359

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack's Broken Heart   Author's Homepage   Email Jack's Broken Heart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Blackout:
I absolutlely want to get something like that going and be exposed to some other thinkers and writers. James tried to get a book club going in the writers box but I don't know if that fared well or not. I think it's because everyone had to meet. Perhaps if a bunch of people just agree to read the same book and then post about it here that would be easier, if it was a philosophy book that is, if not it would go in the writers box. I have been having an intense spurt of positive energy and creativity and things falling into place for me and the universe giving me clues again, and this time I am trying to better harness that power and work at it instead of just 'feeling good' and having a good time. The force is with me right now, but with great power, comes great responsibility as they say. [Hippy Chic] So in edition to running this site and the LIVE internet show , I have been working so hard at getting the live stage show together in time for the New Times article, and the bits for the TV show will be tested out there, and the best ones included in the pilot. I've been going nuts doing photo shoots (which went GREAT by the way) making phone calls and talking with people trying to get a theater that can handle what it is that I want to do.. but it's looking good so far, I'll keep you all posted.

Leo, would you like to be a moderator on the philosophy box? I know you are into it and trust you will keep things intersting here, sometimes it's hard for me to cover all these boards while working on three shows at one time.

- Blackout

word is bond, soul brotha ! i'd be a moderator gladly . i like the virtual book tour because all involved decide their own level of involvement . if you're falling behind or just want to analyse specific sections or ideas, it's your call .

waking life ( or perhaps the sun rising ) hit me like a tonne of bricks . what i did get to see, i liked . maybe i can start it earlier next time and actually finish it .

quote:
Originally posted by elf:
I am all for it, Blackie and Leo. However, may I suggest our first book:

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
The Alchemist.

alright, i'm game . let's plan to start the reading next monday; it'll give everyone a chance to pick it up and whatnot .

leo

--------------------
"For the rest of you: take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it."

Posts: 23 | From: Coconizzy Crizzo, Fo Shizzo | Registered: Feb 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack's Broken Heart
Member # 359

Member Rated:
dudes, sorry i haven't started the discussion yet . i've been up late night after night on the w.a.s.t.e. page trying to get radiohead tickets for three nights straight . i'll begin organising everyone friday or saturday .

--------------------

elf
Drunken Latin Mistress, Lover of the Cinnabun, Sex Doctor, and Lawyer
Member # 276

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for elf   Email elf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leo - you are forgiven! There has been so many other things going on - we will start it in a week or two!

I want to go to Radiohead.

--------------------
Ahem, I am not Mexican. (not that there is anything wrong with that)

Posts: 1257 | Registered: Sep 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Old site - pranks & things

Blackout.com , the artist known as Blackout, Blackout's Box, Blackout.com, Blurpinkle, Blackout's Box Studios, Blackout's Box Entertainment, Blurpinkle, Hathouse Films & TheTricksters.org (C)1995-20010 Michael Richard Bigansky (AKA: Blackout & Michael Biggins, Blackout) & Blackout's Box Studios INC.